Friday, June 1, 2012

Clam Chowder

 
I made homemade clam chowder. I thought it was going to be really difficult but it was the exact opposite. It only took about 30 minutes to make and it was so delicious! It was nice to use up the rest of our clams too. With this recipe, I substituted one can of clams for a handful of cut up clams that we had cooked on the grill the night before. This is going to be one of my new favorites!

I got the recipe from Grumpy's

Just F.Y.I. The canned clams and clam juice can be found next to the tuna fish at the grocery store. I always have a hard time finding ingredients I've never used before. Hopefully that helps.

Ingredients: 
4 slices bacon, diced
1 small onion, chopped
1 stalks celery, chopped
Old Bay Seasoning (1 tsp. or to taste)
(There is a picture of Old Bay Seasoning below. I had a hard time finding it. Maybe this will help.)
2 cups diced potatoes
1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cans (approximately 7 ounces each) minced clams
(I used 1 can of minced clams and one handful of chopped cooked clams)
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups half-and-half
1 cup milk

Directions:
Cook bacon until crisp in a Dutch oven or large, heavy saucepan. Remove bacon to paper towels; drain. Remove most of the bacon grease from pan. Add onion and celery to bacon drippings; saute until softened. Add Old Bay Seasoning and cook and stir another minute. Add potatoes and clam juice, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Remove from heat. Add minced clams with their liquid. Whisk flour into milk; add to chowder with half-and-half. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until clam chowder thickens and bubbles, or about 3 minutes.Sprinkle with crumbled bacon and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment