Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Grilled Shrimp on the Barbecue

We made it home from Mexico safely. It was a blast and we had a lot of adventures.

Adventure #1- right when we crossed the border we had to turn our phones off so we didn't get roaming charges. But, we didn't really know where we were headed yet, so we took a few wrong turns, but eventually ended up in the right place.

Adventure #2- we were on the road a lot later than we thought and at 10:30pm we were finally 30 minutes away from our destination and we came a cross a military checkpoint. You know, the ones where they have machine guns hung across their chest and tell you to pull over and get out of the car. So, there were 2 guys searching our car, then there were 4 guys searching our car, and then there were 6 guys searching our car. So, with 6 guys we couldn't watch them all to see if they were taking anything or if they were planting anything. It got a little bit uncomfortable. But, lo and behold they took out every single thing that we brought and went through it. They went through every bag, zipper, compartment, you name it. Then at one point, two guys were trying to rip the back seat of my car up and I was about to tell them that it doesn't come out. (It's a mustang, there's no storage underneath the seat.) Well, when it wouldn't come up they just got their screwdrivers out, shoved them under the seat, and ripped the whole back seat out of my car and set it down on the cement. I thought I was going to die. Then, they took everything out of my trunk and started ripping the carpeted walls down and searching where the spare tire was and everything. Then, after about 20 minutes, they put everything back and told us to be on our way. Whew!! We made it!!
Adventure #3- After all of our fun adventures in Mexico, it was time to drive home. We left Mexico at 7:30am and made it in line to cross the border at 11:30. Then, while we were waiting in line, we got mangos and a cut up coconut to snack on. So, we're just hanging out listening to music and having a grand old time when we hear a pop, so we turn down the music and we didn't know what it was so we just ignored it. Well, then a few minutes later we realize that the car was overheating. So, we turn it off and open the hood. It is starting to smoke and the coolant is so hot that it is boiling over. So, some guys come running over with water to poor under the hood and we put the car in neutral and just push it along in line as we try to take car of the overheating problem. So, basically a couple guys had to help us push the car and try to cool it down for about 45 minutes until we got close enough to the border line that we could turn on the car and drive it through. When we turned on the car though it made an awful noise so when we got across the border we stopped at an Auto Zone and we had to buy a new fan and replace it in the parking lot. Holy cow was it hot outside! Tyrone and I were both sweating! But, in the end we made it home and the car is doing great. The check engine light actually went off by itself today. It's like brand new.

Well, while we were in Mexico, we stopped at the fish market and bought 10 pounds of clams and 3 pounds of shrimp. We had intentions of eating it in Mexico but with all the parties and activities going on, we didn't get around to it. So last night Tyrone cooked up some clams and shrimp on the barbecue.

For the clams, all you do is soak them in water before hand and then just throw them on the grill. Tyrone's Cousin G.r. taught us how to cook them.When the shells pop open, They're Done! I liked to sprinkle it with garlic salt but Tyrone likes it with just El Pato sauce on it. It already has a little bit of a salty taste to it because of the salt water. So, play around with it and see what you like.

For the shrimp, Tyrone did an excellent job.

 We put the shrimp on skewers through 2 sticks so that they got cooked more evenly.
For the marinade:

1/2 cup melted butter
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, thyme, and parsley chopped
3 cloves of garlic minced
3tbsp lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

we didn't have time to marinate the shrimp in this so instead we just brushed it on and let it soak about 15 minutes before grilling. Cook on low so that they get cooked all the way through. Make sure not to overcook them or they become chewy and rubbery.

No comments:

Post a Comment