Monday, May 21, 2012

Maxi Skirt

 
I finally got a sewing machine in March. I had been thinking about getting one for a while but I just didn't want to spend the money. So, Tyrone and I took a trip home and while we were there my mom told me that my aunt had a ton of fabric that was my grandmas before she passed away and she wanted people to come and pick up what they wanted. So I went over there and picked up a lot of fleece for baby blankets that my grandma had cut up to make into blankets. I thought that one day when I got a sewing machine it would be nice to make blankets from her fabric. So, I was talking to my aunt about it and she said, I didn't know you sewed. I told her that I had when I was younger but I didn't currently have a sewing machine. Then she said that my grandma had an antique sewing machine and then just an older table top one. My aunt said that all of my cousins had their own and that I could have this one. It is so awesome to have my grandma's sewing machine! I still need to take it to a sewing machine store because I can't figure out how to wind the bobbin with a spool of thread. It looks like it has the capabilities but I can't seem to figure it out. Here is the old beauty. 


When I first got this sewing machine I couldn't figure out how to wind the bobbin so I took it over to my friend Christi's house, and she couldn't figure it out, so then we called our friend Kay to come over and try it. All to no success. So I thought I was going to have to take it somewhere. Then, Christi's husband came home and asked if he could press the pedal of the sewing machine and I said sure, it's not like it works anyway, and then it threaded the bobbin. It took 3 girls and then a boy figured it out? How is that possible?


So, after I sewed a pillowcase for practice, my next project was this maxi skirt. I followed the tutorial from Elle Apparel. I was able to make it in just a few hours. I didn't end up using the elastic thread that it calls for and I ended up making my waist band too small the first time around, but it turned out good and I wore it to church today. I probably should have made it slightly longer if I'm going to wear heels with it, but it turned out great for my first skirt. 


After I made my skirt, Tyrone wanted to sew something on the sewing machine. That sounds just like a little kid, right? He stitched his name with blue thread onto yellow fabric. He's going to be the next fashion designer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment