I also bought these awesome Wilton color mist cans a little while ago and I have only used them once. They look awesome. Everyone kept asking me how I got the cookies to look like that. It is really easy to use. Just make sure to keep the can about a foot away when you spray the cookies or they'll be splotchy and the color will run. You also want to put the cookies on a cookie sheet when you do it.
The recipe and frosting I used came from In Katrina's Kitchen
This recipe was awesome because I made the dough and baked the cookies all within an hour. It's a great recipe to work with when you are crunched for time and everyone said that they were delicious. I made 30 cookies and I only came home with 6.
The sugar cookies and frosting both call for almond extract which I didn't have. They tasted great without it but maybe next time I'll try it.
1 Cup butter, softened
1 Cup granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 cups all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In the bowl of your mixer cream butter and sugar until smooth.
- Beat in extracts and eggs.
- In a separate bowl combine baking powder with flour and add a little at a time to the wet ingredients. The dough will be very stiff. If it becomes too stiff for your mixer turn out the dough onto a counter top surface. Wet your hands and finish off kneading the dough by hand.
- DO NOT CHILL THE DOUGH. Divide into workable batches, roll out onto a floured surface and cut. You want these cookies to be on the thicker side (closer to 1/4 inch rather than 1/8).
- Bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes. Let cool on the cookie sheet until firm enough to transfer to a cooling rack.
Butter cream frosting
- 2 Cups shortening
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 8 Cups powdered sugar
- 1/8 Cup heavy cream (more or less to desired consistency) (I didn't have any so I used 2% milk)
- food coloring, if desired
1. In the bowl of your mixer beat shortening until smooth and creamy.
2. Mix in vanilla (and almond extract if using).
3. Add powdered sugar (1 cup at a time) until combined, then add cream & mix until smooth and spreading consistency. Adjust cream to desired frosting thickness
4. Add a few drops of color, if desired.