Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Pepperoni Penne

I am either really prepared for dinner, or my husband is on my way home and I'm looking in the cupboards, the fridge, searching pinterest, etc. trying to figure out what I'm going to make. I decided to make this and it was quick, easy and tasted so yummy.

I got this recipe from AllRecipes.

Now, I wasn't sure how this meal was going to turn out. I was kind of on the edge about even making it because it sounds a little bit like a kid's dish. Pepperoni penne? Anyway, it turned out really good and it tasted really fresh. When I served it to my husband he said, "This is Cheesecake Factory status."



I chopped up everything up ahead of time so when we were ready to eat, it only took about 15 minutes to make. I added a chopped green bell pepper because I had one chopped up in the fridge and I think it made the dish taste really yummy. I added it in with the shallot and garlic.I would also recommend making a little less than 16 oz of penne to go with it. A lot of the reviews said that there wasn't enough sauce with that much pasta. I made about 12 oz or 3/4 of a 1 lb box of penne. It was the perfect amount. 

On a side note, I do not like tomatoes. I usually pick them out of things when I can taste them. The tomatoes made this sauce really yummy without being too powerful. I ate them without even noticing. Maybe you can trick your kids. Or, if you're like me, maybe you can trick yourself. It probably helps that we used tomatoes from our garden too.

I'm so proud of our tomatoes. Ever since we moved our tomato plant has been growing like crazy!


Ingredients:
3/4 lb sliced pepperoni sausage (I used Hormel sliced pepperoni's because that's all I had)
2 tablespoons minced shallots
4 medium tomatoes- peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 cup heavy cream
1 (16 oz) package penne pasta
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
1. Cook the penne according to the package directions.

2. In a large skillet saute the pepperoni until crispy (about 5-8 minutes). Drain all but 1 tablespoon of the grease. Add the shallot and garlic. Cook until translucent. Stir in the tomatoes and simmer for about 3 minutes.

3. Stir in the cream and cook until reduced (about 8 minutes). Add the parsley and remove from the heat.

4. Add the drained pasta and toss. Garnish with Parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment