Monday, July 1, 2013

4th of July table runner


Fourth of July is one of my favorite holidays. We always get up early, ride our bikes around town, watch the parade, BBQ and top it off at the end of the night with fireworks on the beach (while eating warm kettle corn.) I don't ever want to spend another 4th of July anywhere but here. This will be my 4th year spending it here and it never gets old.







As I was getting ready for the fourth, my sister in law had a birthday. She has spent the last few fourth of July's here with us and this year she is having her own fourth of July get together. So, I decided to make her something that she could use to celebrate with.

This was my first time making a table runner. I have been wanting to make one for a while but never really found a reason to, especially since I have a round kitchen table. I was very excited to find a good reason to attempt it. I used the tutorial from Count-on-me to figure out how to sew it all together.

I cut my strips 4in wide and I believe I made the table runner 15in in length when it was finished. This table runner is meant for a longer rectangle table. For the bias tape I used the tutorial from Smashed peas and carrots.I think she does an amazing job of teaching how to sew bias tape. It made it very easy to understand. I had to use two packages of Extra Wide Double Fold bias tape. I used red bias tape but depending on the color you want to stand out you could use dark blue or white as well.

Here is a picture of the finished product that I got from my sister in law. I was trying to get it finished and sent off so I forgot to take a final picture of it myself. This is the back side of the table runner. I put a patriotic print on it so that both sides could be used.




Here are some of the pre-cut pieces lying out. 



No comments:

Post a Comment