Saturday, July 13, 2013

Fish Tacos

Since I live by the beach, there are many places to get great fish tacos within walking distance of our home. But, since it's me, I decided to try and see if I could make some pretty good ones myself. I was very surprised with how good they turned out and how easy they were. This will become a new go to meal when I'm in a crunch for time, or when my husband gets home from work and I still don't have anything in mind. This probably happens more than he'd like.... I'm afraid to admit. Now I don't have to suggest boxed mac n cheese. Joking... But somewhat serious.

 Ingredients for fish tacos with sauce:

4 tilapia filets (or fish of your choice)
corn tortillas
olive oil
mayo
sour cream
garlic cloves
cumin
cayenne pepper
pepper
2 limes
salt
smoked paprika
oregano
garlic powder

optional:
avocados
cabbage
red onion

I first started looking for a sauce recipe that looked really yummy. I found a really delicious one at The Hungry Apple




































Remoulade: 

1/2 cup olive oil mayo (I used regular)
1/2 cup sour cream
2 small garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
the juice of one lime  

I halved this recipe since it's just me and my husband. We each had two tacos for dinner and two for lunch the next day being very generous on the remoulade and there is still plenty left over.

For the fish, I would suggest a white flaky fish. I used tilapia. You will want about 4 filets. 

Here is the rub from The Hungry Apple to season the fish filets.

2 teaspoons salt
20 grinds of fresh pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder

cook each side for about 3 or 4 minutes. The fish should be white all the way through, not clear but should still be very flaky. 


Lastly for the taco shells, some people like plain flour tortillas for their shells, but I like to use corn tortillas that I fry in the pan for a second and shape into a hard shell taco. They give that perfect crunch and they only take a few seconds to cook on each side. Lay the corn tortilla flat in a non stick pan with a little bit of oil, after the bottom starts to turn slightly brown, turn onto the other side for just a few seconds and then fold it in half and let each side turn a darker brown in the oil while being held in the taco shape. When the taco is done, place on a paper towel lined plate to let the oil drain off. 

For toppings we used avocados, cabbage, some fresh lime juice and our remoulade.






Sorry this one is a little blurry but you get the idea. This is what happens when I tried to fry the taco with my right hand and take a picture with my left. My left hand isn't all that coordinated.









No comments:

Post a Comment