Thursday, August 22, 2013

Hearty chili

This an awesome chili recipe for the men in your life! It is really hearty and filling! I was asked to bring chili to a Halloween party a few years ago and I found this recipe. Since then I have made it quite a few times. I usually serve it with a little bit of melted cheese on top and some cornbread. This is an easy dinner for those nights when you don't have much time or can't think of anything. Most of the ingredients I usually have on hand too so that helps!

I got this recipe off of the Big Oven app but you can find it here on their website as well.

Ingredients:

1 pound Lean ground meat
1 large Onion chopped
1 tablespoon Chili powder
1 tablespoon Ground cumin
1/2 pound Smoked sausage (I like to use Polska Kilbasa instead)
1 12-oz can Kidney beans or Ranch Style beans
1 cup Pace's picante sauce
1 cup V-8 vegetable juice
1 8 ounce can Tomato sauce

Serves: 6

Preparation:
Brown ground meat with onion in large sauce pan or dutch oven.  Sprinkle chili powder and cumin over meat while cooking and stirring for about 2 minutes.  Slice and quarter the smoked sausage.  Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.  Reduce and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.  Add a little water if it gets too thick.

I have used smoked sausage and it tastes really yummy. I usually prefer polska kilbasa though. This last time I made this I realized that I didn't have any picante sauce on hand. You know the feeling when you thought you had all the ingredients and when you are in the middle of making it you realize you are missing something? So frustrating. Instead of picante sauce I used a jar of mild salsa and I honestly couldn't tell the difference. If substituting salsa for picante sauce I would just make sure it isn't chunky salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment