Thursday, August 15, 2013

Homemade White Bread

30 weeks pregnant and look at Jackson's awesome surfboard that Tyrone painted. It's getting glassed and fins put in it right now!

I have been wanting a Bosch mixer for quite some time now but I just couldn't justify spending money to get it. But my birthday was coming up and my husband kept asking me what I wanted and I'd say something like, "What I really want is a Bosch mixer, but I know they're really expensive, so I don't know..." I just felt like it would be great to have but it was a lot of money. Well, being the amazing husband that he is, he along with my father in law pitched in together and they got me a Bosch mixer and I'll tell you, IT IS BEAUTIFUL!

 This means no more kneading dough myself. This means that it will no longer take me all day to bake bread or cinnamon rolls, or bread rolls. It's amazing!!It came in the mail the day we were leaving out of town though, sadly. I opened up a few things and read the manual but I didn't actually get it out and use it for the first time until last night. I think Tyrone was almost more excited than I was to use it. He kept on saying he wanted to make bread with me. Those are great words coming from his mouth!



I got all the parts washed and ready to go. I found this recipe on pinterest and it is delicious! We ate half a loaf when it came out of the oven. I put butter and homemade strawberry jam on mine. Tyrone wanted peanut butter and strawberry jam on his. It was so yummy! Joyful baker is where the recipe came from.

This recipe makes 2 loafs. After the first batch came out of the oven, Tyrone suggested to make another batch so we made 4 loafs total. Then after that he wanted to make cookies. Homemade bread and cookies for dinner. YUM!

Homemade white bread
2 cups hot water (out of the tap)
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp oil
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp honey
2 tsp salt
1/5 cup Powdered milk
2 1/3 cups flour (any combination of white and wheat - if mixing flours, start with white)
2 1/2 tsp saf-instant yeast
3 cups flour (any combination of white and wheat - if mixing flours, start with white)

 Combine ingredients in the order listed above in a stand-mixer bowl fitted with dough hook, saving the last 3 cups of flour to add later. After adding the yeast, turn mixer on and let ingredients combine slowly. Add the remaining 3 cups of flour, until the dough starts pulling off of the sides of the mixer. Turn mixer to high and knead for 8 minutes. Cover the bowl and allow the dough to rise for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 150 degrees.

Once dough has risen, divide the dough into 2 even balls. Place on a floured surface and with your fingers, lightly press each ball into a rectangular shape about the length of a bread pan. Roll into loaves and place them seam side down in pans sprayed with cooking spray.

Place pans in oven and allow to rise for 20 minutes. Then raise the temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven. Then remove the bread from the pans and allow to cool slightly before slicing. I like to turn my loaves onto their side on the cooling rack. This makes lines in the side of the bread and then you have perfectly even slices when you are ready to cut it.

This bread is great for toast or sandwiches. It is delicious!


I am so excited about my new kitchen gadget. Homemade bread is now a piece of cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment